Sascha Drewlo, Ph.D.
Sascha Drewlo, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Research Educator (full time)
PSL 7690: Placental Pathology; Pregnancy 2; Barker Hypothesis/ Developmental Origin of Health and Disease (DOHAD) - Instructor. Department of Physiology with Concentration in the Reproductive Sciences Program (PhD), Principles of Reproductive Biology.
Severe preeclampsia is a hypertensive disorder in pregnancy and the major contributor to fetal and maternal morbidity. The molecular mechanisms are widely unknown and the only cure is removal of the placenta and child delivery. Our research is focused on placental development and the underlying molecular mechanisms of disease. We develop cell and tissue based in vitro model of disease to search for novel biomarkers and potential intervention strategies using a variety of drugs and technologies to ultimately improve fetal and maternal health.
- Ebert, T., Stepan, H., Schrey, S., Kralisch, S., Hindricks, J., Hopf, L., Platz, M., Lossner, U., Jessnitzer, B., Drewlo, S., Bluher, M., Stumvoll, M., Fasshauer, M. (2013) “Serum levels of irisin in gestational diabetes mellitus during pregnancy and after delivery.” Cytokine; epub 10.1016/j.cyto.2013.11.009.
- Baczyk, D., Drewlo S., and Kingdom J. C. (2013) "Emerging role of SUMOylation in placental pathology." Placenta Jul; 34(7):606‐12.
- Schrey, S., Kingdom, J., Baczyk, D., Fitzgerald, B., Keating, S., Ryan, G. and Drewlo, S., (2013). "Leptin is differentially expressed and epigenetically regulated across monochorionic twin placenta with discordant fetal growth." Mol Hum Reprod 19(11): 764‐7729Baczyk, D.,
- Kibschull, M., Mellstrom, B., Levytska, K., Rivas, M., Drewlo, S., Lye, S.J., Naranjo, J.R., Kingdom, J.C. (2013) DREAM mediated regulation of GCM1 in the human placental trophoblast. PLoS One ;8(1)
- Dunk, C.E., Gellhaus, A., Drewlo, S., Baczyk, B., Potgens, A.J., Winterhager, E., Kingdom, J.C., Lye, S.J., (2012) The Molecular Role of Connexin 43 in Human Trophoblast Cell Fusion. Biology of Reproduction 86(4):11