Ghassan Saed, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - Ob/Gyn and Anatomy and Cell Biology, Director - Ovarian Cancer Biology Research
Ghassan Saed, Ph.D.
Associate Professor with Tenure, Obstetrics and Gynecology and Cell Biology, Director - Ovarian Cancer Biology Research - Research Educator (full time)
Our research focuses on molecular mechanisms involved in the pathogenesis of tissue fibrosis, specifically postoperative adhesions. This involves the utilization of modern state of the art molecular biology and cell culture techniques as well as animal models. The major outcome of this work, in addition to the development of the ex-vivo model for adhesions, was the development and characterization of the adhesion phenotype in cell culture. Additionally, this cell culture system was used to test the hypothesis that hypoxia is the trigger for the development of postoperative adhesions. Parallel studies investigating the role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of ovarian cancer are also a major focus of our laboratory. The idea of studying ovarian cancer arose from the need to compare the effects of oxidative stress on the pathogenesis of a malignant overgrowth versus a benign overgrowth, such as postoperative adhesions. These studies resulted in the identification of biomarkers for progression and metastasis of ovarian cancer.
- Saed GM, Fletcher NM, Jiang ZL, Abu-Soud HM, Diamond MP.Dichloroacetate induces apoptosis of epithelial ovarian cancer cells through a mechanism involving modulation of oxidative stress. Reprod Sci. 2011 Dec;18(12):1253-61. Epub 2011 Jun 23.PMID:21701041
- Belotte J, Fletcher NM, Awonuga AO, Alexis M, Abu-Soud HM, Saed MG, Diamond MP, Saed GM.The role of oxidative stress in the development of cisplatin resistance in epithelial ovarian cancer.Reprod Sci. 2014 Apr;21(4):503-8. PMID:24077440
- Awonuga AO, Belotte J, Abuanzeh S, Fletcher NM, Diamond MP, Saed GM. Advances in the Pathogenesis of Adhesion Development: The Role of Oxidative Stress. Reprod Sci. 2014 Feb 11. PMID:24520085
- Fletcher NM, Saed MG, Abuanzeh S, Abu-Soud HM, Al-Hendy A, Diamond MP, Saed GM. Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide Phosphate Oxidase Is Differentially Regulated in Normal Myometrium Versus Leiomyoma. Reprod Sci. 2014 Feb 11. PMID: 4520084
- Fletcher NM, Jiang Z, Ali-Fehmi R, Levin NK, Belotte J, Tainsky MA, Diamond MP, Abu-Soud HM,Saed GM.Myeloperoxidase and free iron levels: potential biomarkers for early detection and prognosis of ovarian cancer.Cancer Biomark. 2011-2012;10(6):267-75. PMID: 22820082