Associate Professor with Tenure, Research Educator (full time)
C.S. Mott Center for Human Growth and Development
275 E. Hancock
Detroit, Michigan 48201
Awards and Honors
First & Second Prizes "Diabetes in Pregnancy: It’s Time for An Update” at the Detroit Marriott - Renaissance Center on December 6, 2016 (Mentor).
American Society of Reproductive Medicine
Outstanding research in training aware, American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) meeting held at Salt Lake City, Utah , 2016 (Mentor).
Pacific Coast Reproductive Society
Most outstanding papers presented at Pacific Coast Reproductive Society (PCRS) Annual Meeting held at Palm Springs, California from March 9 to 13, 2016 (Mentor).
Society of Reproductive Investigation
Pfizer-SRI President’s award by the Society of Reproductive Investigation 2016 (Mentor).
ACOG Michigan Section
The first, second, and third prizes for fellows at the 30th Annual Michigan Section ACOG Junior Fellow Research Day, May 20, 2015 (Mentor).
Wayne State University and University of Toronto Joint Scientific Conference
John M. Malone, Jr. Best Clinical Science Poster award’ Wayne State University and University of Toronto Joint Scientific Conference in Detroit, MI. May, 2015 (Mentor)
Sponsoring a Fulbright Visiting Senior Scholar Award 2013-2014 (Dr. Iyad Ali)
Gordon Research Conference on "Pineal Cell Biology - Mechanism of Circadian Rhythmicity and Melatonin Action
Invited Speaker, Mechanism of Circadian Rhythmicity and Melatonin Action" which will be held April 20th – 25th 2008 in II Ciocco, Italy.
Press Release American Chemical Society
Article selected for press release, ACS Publication 2005
Gordon Research Conference on Nitric Oxide
The Young Investigator Award to A. Goud, Gordon Research Conference on Nitric Oxide, Ciocco, Italy, May 2005 (Mentor).
Wayne State University (Ob/Gyn Department)
C. S. Mott Center Outstanding Basic Scientist of the Year Award.
Society of Reproductive Endocrinologists
Finalist Paper, Society of Reproductive Endocrinologists, American Society for Reproductive Medicine.
The Third Gordon Research Conference Nitric Oxide in Biochemistry and Biology.
Invited Speaker. Ventura, California, February 7-11 (1999).
The Second Gordon Research Conference Nitric Oxide in Biochemistry and Biology.
Invited Speaker Ventura, California, February 2-7 (1997).
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Finalist for F. Merlin Pumpus, Ph. D., Junior Investigation Award in Basic Research.
The Overseas Research Student "ORS" Award,
University of Essex, United Kingdom 1985-1987.
Ph.D. Chemistry, University of Essex, U. K.
PSL: 5010 - Instructor and Advisor. Department of Physiology.
BIO 6990 - Instructor and Advisor. Department of Biological Sciences.
PSL 7996: Arranged Research - Instructor/Advisor/Mentor. Department of Physiology with Concentration in the Reproductive Sciences Program (PhD), Current Research Topics in the Reproductive Sciences.
PSL 9991, 9992, 9993, 9994: Thesis/Dissertation Research and Design - Instructor/Advisor/Mentor. Department of Physiology with Concentration in the Reproductive Sciences Program (PhD), Doctoral Candidate Status I-IV.
PSL 9995: Candidate Maintenance Status - Instructor/Advisor/Mentor. Department of Physiology with Concentration in the Reproductive Sciences Program (PhD), Doctoral Candidate Dissertation Research and Direction.
Instructor. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Summer Reproductive Technology Course (The C.S. Mott Center for Human Growth and Development).
Our long-term objective is to understand the mechanisms by which oxidative damage contributes to the pathogenesis of inflammatory diseases. Four major research projects are currently under investigation:
1) structure-function studies of the three isoforms of nitric oxide synthase and their regulation in vivo;
2) the role of mammalian peroxidases and nitric oxide synthases in promoting oxidative stress and their potential involvement in the disease state;
3) identification of potent inhibitors for mammalian peroxidases and scavenger to their final products; and
4) the role of reactive oxygen and nitrogen species on oocyte aging. These projects involve the utilization of state of the art analytical methods which include enzyme purification and expression, cloning, site-directed mutagenesis, and methods to study protein structure and function including EPR, mass spectrometry, HPLC, stopped-flow and rapid quench.
- Peroxynitrite deteriorates oocyte quality through disassembly of microtubule organizing centers. Khan SN, Shaeib F, Thakur M, Jeelani R, Awonuga AO, Goud PT, Abu-Soud HM. Free Radic Biol Med. 2016 Feb;91:275-80
- Diffused Intra-Oocyte Hydrogen Peroxide Activates Myeloperoxidase and Deteriorates Oocyte Quality. Khan SN, Shaeib F, Najafi T, Kavdia M, Gonik B, Saed GM, Goud PT, Abu-Soud HM. PLoS One. 2015 Jul 21;10(7):e0132388.
- Dynamics of nitric oxide, altered follicular microenvironment, and oocyte quality in women with endometriosis. Goud PT, Goud AP, Joshi N, Puscheck E, Diamond MP, Abu-Soud HM.Fertil Steril. 2014 Sep;102(3):908.
- Direct real-time measurement of intra-oocyte nitric oxide concentration in vivo. Goud PT, Goud AP, Najafi T, Gonik B, Diamond MP, Saed HM, Zhang X, Abu-Soud HM.PLoS One. 2014 Jun 2;9(6):e98720.
- Myeloperoxidase acts as a source of free iron during steady-state catalysis by a feedback inhibitory pathway.Maitra D, Shaeib F, Abdulhamid I, Abdulridha RM, Saed GM, Diamond MP, Pennathur S, Abu-Soud HM.Free Radic Biol Med. 2013 Oct;63:90-8
- Impact of hydrogen peroxide-driven Fenton reaction on mouse oocyte quality. Shaeib F, Banerjee J, Maitra D, Diamond MP, Abu-Soud HM.Free Radic Biol Med. 2013 May;58:154-9